Our Sweet and Sour Lettuce Bowls are a fun dish to make, serve and eat for the family. This dish is meat and dairy free and is packed with fresh seasonal produce (from our garden, mostly). When DH and I tasted this we were oohing and aahing by the flavours – sensational!
You will need:
– 1 cup barley
– 1 400g tin of four-bean-mix
– 1 tomato
– 3 cloves garlic, crushed
– 2 tsp ginger, grated
– 1 medium brown onion, quartered
– 5 medium butter mushrooms
– Peanut oil
– 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
– 1/4 cup soy sauce
– 3 carrots, grated
– 1/2 bunch of spring onions, diced
– 1 red capsicum, diced
– 1 small bunch of parsley, diced
– Extra Virgin olive oil
– Fresh lettuce, the crispy leaves in the centre that are shaped like bowls
– Sweet Soy Sauce
1. In a small saucepan filled with 2 cups of boiling water*, add the pearl barley. *Cook according to packet directions.
2. On another element, heat a medium fry pan on the highest setting.
3. Into the fry pan: add the garlic and ginger, and a little peanut oil.
4. Meanwhile turn on your food processor and process these ingredients: onion, tomato, four-bean-mix, and mushrooms.
5. Empty the processed ingredients into your fry pan and mix with the garlic and ginger.
Note: Check the pearl barley and add more cooking water if the saucepan is becoming dry.
8. Once pearl barley is cooked, mix it through the bean mix in the frying pan. Stir-well.
9. Fill another salad bowl with the bean/barley mix.
10. To serve, place lettuce bowls on plate and fill each bowl with the bean/barley mix, then top with the salad mix. Finally, drizzle Sweet Soy Sauce over the top.
To be eaten with your hands – fun times!